Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Bout of Books 9.0 {Updates}

First day of Bout of Books is done!!! And I think I did a pretty good job. I will be posting all my updates  about all my progress from the day before on this post. :)
Today is the last day to sign-up!!! So go on over to the Bout of Books blog and get to reading. :) 

See my goals here.

Monday 

What I've read today: "Every Day" by David Levithan
Total number of pages read today:  216
Total number of books completed: none 
total number of pages read:  216
Read-a-thon thoughts: I read a little over 4 hours!! Yay!!! And about 100 pages left to finish the book!!! I'm liking the book so far, the first half of the book was very interesting, the book is about a person named A, who wakes up in a different body Every Day. But the further I read, the more annoying the boy got about falling in love with the girl he met while in someone else's body. Hopefully the books picks up again.  I loved participating in the mini challenge and pretending I had $100 to spend on books!! Can that be for real, please? :) 
Favorite Quote:
"In my experience, desire is desire, love is love. I have never fallen in love with a gender. I have fallen in love for individuals. I know this is hard for people to do , but I don't understand why it's so hard, when it's so obvious"- Every Day page 142
Mini Challenges:  1 out of 2 - 
The ladies over at Bookish Comforts hosted one of the first mini challenges of the week. They had us pretend we had $100 to go on a Book Buying Spree. These were the books that I would choose to buy. It was hard, so many books, not enough money. lol. 


What books would you buy if you had $100 to spend?

Tuesday 

What I've read today: "Every Day" by David Levithan (106 pages); "Amy & Roger's Epic Detour" by Morgan Matson (90 pages); "Leaving Glorytown" by Eduardo F. Calcines (10 pages)
Total number of pages read today:  206
Total number of books completed: 1: "Every Day" my goodreads mini review 
total number of pages read:  422
Read-a-thon thoughts:
I accomplished my daily reading time goal for today yay!! I was running errands all day, so I'm glad that I was able to spend some time reading. :) 
I finished Every Day!! Yay one book down!! I enjoyed the book as a whole, the book was about this boy named "A" who since the day he was born he wakes up in a different body every day. I found it frustrating, sad and really eye opening, just realizing what every person goes through in their daily lives. I know the lives David Levithan wrote are fictional, but I can picture every single person. I'm hoping that A and Rhiannon (the girl he falls deeply in love with) find their happy ending.

I started reading Amy & Roger's Epic Detour. I always wanted to go on a road trip, and so far the book has taught me that I'm young, these are the times when I can go on a road trip and explore our nation. So I'm definitely adding that to my bucket list. 

Began reading Leaving Glorytown with my middle school student that I tutor, and I loved it. I think I want to go check it out from the library. 
Favorite Quote:
"Love means never having to lose your limbs" - Every Day pg. 222 
"About going out  and just driving, and how you can only do it when you're young. For the first time, it struck me that this trip could be something worth recording..." - Amy & Roger's Epic Detour pg. 36
 Mini Challenges: 1 out 2
Sarah at Sarah Reads had us confessing  our Reading Tactics by answering: 
How do you fit in as much reading as possible during Bout of Books? How do you squeeze in those extra pages?
My answer:
 I love reading so I try to read everywhere and anytime I get. Lucky for me I have been on a work break these last two times of Bout of Books, but still I find little time to read, lol. But I try to wake up a lil early then usual to read in the morning, and I try to read even more before bed. I also limit my time watching TV but when I do I even read during commercials.. lol.. I thought I would never say this, but sometimes I get tired of reading, so I’ll get online or watch a show and then get back to reading, like interval times. :)

What are your reading tactics?

Wednesday 

What I've read today: "Amy and Roger's Epic Detour" by Morgan Matson
Total number of pages read today:  133
Total number of books completed:  1
total number of pages read:  555
Read-a-thon thoughts:  So it wasn't the best Bout of Books day today. I was barely able to squeeze in my goal-reading time, and I wasn't able to participated in the only mini challenge that was scheduled for today. I was a total bum today, and not the good-let's-stay-in-bed-and-read-all-day-kind, but rather let's-do-nothing-productive-today-kind. 

The good thing is that I accomplished my goal of reading 500 pages!!! Yay. Let's see if I can read 500 more by the end of Sunday. Another good thing, I'm absolutely loving "Amy and Roger's Epic Detour" book. The times that I picked up the book, I just couldn't put it down. It's a fun read, and so interesting. Can't wait to learn if they do end up together. Excited!!! Now I really want to go on a road trip!!
Favorite Quote:
"I mean, you have to leave where you've come from. You have to go and see stuff. And that doesn't mean that I don't know where my home is." - Amy and Roger's Epic Detour pg. 175
Mini Challenges: 0 out 1 

Thursday 

What I've read today: "Amy and Roger's Epic Detour" by Morgan Matson
Total number of pages read today:  129
Total number of books completed: 2; "Amy and Roger's Epic Detour" my goodreads mini review
total number of pages read:  684
Read-a-thon thoughts: So another not very productive day, reading wise. I spent most of the day online applying to some job positions. I'm crossing my finger that something works out. :) 

As for my reading progress. I finished my second book. And let me tell you, I loved Amy and Roger's Epic Detour. It was a fun read, it was a story of loss, happiness, adventure, freedom, and finding ones self. What I'm taking out from this book is the sense of adventure. You need to get out there, see new places, learn new things. I officially want to go on a roadtrip!!! Someone come with me!! 
Favorite Quote:
"The best discoveries always happened to the people who weren't looking for them."  - "Amy and Roger's Epic Detour" pg. 337
Mini Challenges: 2 out 2
Lori at Writing My Own Fairytale hosted a Double Date challenge. She wanted us to pair two books together, to recommend to someone to read them together. I choose "Water for Elephants" and "The Night Circus". Can you guess what my theme is? :) 
I love the circus. I read “Water for Elephants” by Sara Gruen a while back and a couple of months I read “The Night Circus” by Erin Morgenstern. And fell in love with circuses that much more. I think that there’s this enchanting, magical thing behind a circus and these two books portray that enchanting thing that I think Circuses have. I think they could go together quite perfectly.
Deb at Pen in Her Hands hosted the Found Poem Challenge. What she had us do it to pick any book, to choose a number between 1 and 10, and flip to a random page. Using the number we chose, we were to count the lines from the top and then counting to the word. We were to do this 14 times so that we had 14 words. Then we could replace two words with any words we wanted, and then come up with a poem. Although it might not make a lot of sense, I think this poem fit perfectly with the book. 

I used “Amy and Roger’s Epic Detour” by Morgan Matson
I used  the #5.
My words were: tell, thinking, said, we’d, of, again, into, Quiet, Stars, that, for, was, really, us

Replaced: “tell” with “staring” and “said” with “sat”

My found poem:
Staring again into Stars,
We’d sat thinking of Quiet,
for that was really us.

What two books would you pair together?

Friday 

What I've read today: " The Twelve Tribes of Hattie" by Ayana Mathis
Total number of pages read today:  53 
Total number of books completed:  2
total number of pages read:  737
Read-a-thon thoughts: Horrible day for reading. And I couldn't quite get into the book.
Favorite Quote:
"Hattie understood them as extensios of herself and loved them becuse they were hers and because they were defenseless and because they needed her." - The Twelve Tribes of Hattie  pg. 9
Mini Challenges: 0 out 2


Saturday 

What I've read today: " The Twelve Tribes of Hattie" by Ayana Mathis
Total number of pages read today:  66
Total number of books completed: 2
total number of pages read:  803
Read-a-thon thoughts: Another bad day of reading. Today was supposed to be the day I finished The Twelve Tribes of Hattie, but only got half way. Hopefully I finish it tomorrow. The book is picking up, although it is not my absolute favorite as of right now. 
Favorite Quote:
"She put all th blame on August. She never for one minute stopped thinking he was the cause of every bad thing that ever was, and he never stopped hoping that one morning he would wake up and prove her wrong." - The Twelve Tribes of Hattie pg. 90
Mini Challenges: 0 out 1


Sunday 

What I've read today: "
Total number of pages read today:  
Total number of books completed: 
total number of pages read:  
Read-a-thon thoughts:
Favorite Quote:
Mini Challenges:

Are you participating in Bout of Books, how has it been so far? 
 photo signature2.jpg

2 comments:

  1. i know at first I was confused too.. But no, it is NOT a competition to see who reads the most books, but rather like you said to read for enjoyment, and as a challenge to yourself to ready a lil bit more than you would normally do. it's definetely for fun. at your own pace and at your own time. :)
    Imagine, some people at the last read-a-thon read 19+ books, that's insane, I'll be happy if I get through one. lol. :)
    do you love to read??

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts!! :)