Friday, April 4, 2014

Dream Catcher {D.I.Y}

Today's A-Z Letter =  D is for ..... Dream Catcher
I've always been fascinated with dream catchers since I was little. The Native Americans used dream catchers to ward off bad dreams and spirits. In the last couple of months I have been obsessed with them. And of course thanks to Pinterest this is the outcome. One for my bedroom and one for my car.

D.I.Y Dream Catchers

//Materials//
- Embroidery Hoops (I used 5in and 3in hoops)
- Embroidery String (or you can use twine or yarn)
- Embelishments like feathers, beads, ribbon, sequins, jewels, chains, etc.










//Instructions//
- Untighten the hoop and use only one of the hoops which ever you prefer. I used the inside hoop for the bigger one and I used the outside hoop for the smaller one. 
- Use ribbon, or scrap fabric, (you can even use yarn or spray paint your hoop) to wrap around your hoop. 
- Take your sting and tie a knot anywhere on your hoop and begin weaving it in. Loop the string from top to bottom and back up. This part is up to you creativity. There are endless ways to weave in your string to mak different designs. 
- Add embellishments:
- I just added the beads after I weaved the web by just tying them with a seperate piece of string. But maybe it would've been easier to add the beads while weaving the web.
- For the feathers. Tie them to the a piece of string. Before you tie the feathers to the hoop, add beads to hide the knots and make the feathers stand up straight. 
- The yellow strings are pieces of ribbon that I just tied to the hoop. 
- To make the braids on the little one, I just cut three pieces of string for each of the three main strands of the braid.
- Finally add some sting to the top of the dream catcher and to tie wherever you want. 

 photo signature2-1.jpg

11 comments:

  1. Bonnie Gwyn JohnsonApril 4, 2014 at 9:53 AM

    So pretty! Thanks for sharing :) And good luck with the rest of A-Z! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie Gwyn JohnsonApril 4, 2014 at 11:37 AM

    Yes, I am! :) http://bonniegwyn.blogspot.com/ :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a nice idea for D. Your projects have turned out very colourful and pretty. Here from the A-Z. Best of luck with the rest of the challenge.
    Nilanjana.
    Madly-in-Verse

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how cool! I have one hanging above my bed. It would be fun to make!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the information! I love dreamcatchers, but never thought about making one of my own.
    I'm visiting via the A to Z. Here is one of the blogs I'm participating in. :-)
    http://crazytowninlooneyland.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love dream catchers! Thanks for the information. Good luck on the A to Z Challenge. This is my first year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you. :) It was fun to make. :)
    Thanks for stopping by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Nilanjana, :) I had fun making it..
    Good Luck to you too!! :) Heading over to check out your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you hun!! Yes I made one for my bedroom and the little one for my car.. It was fun to make. :)
    Thanks for stopping by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love them.. I've always been facinated by them.. It was fun making them. :)
    Thanks for stopping by.. Good Luck on the challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Cheryl!! :) I had fun making them..
    Ohhh gosh, it's my first year too, I'm having trouble finding something to write about for some of the letters.. Thanks for stopping by. Good Luck to you too. :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts!! :)