Monday, September 16, 2013

Dear Grandma.. I love you!!

Day 9 of Blogtember: Monday, September 16: Write a public love letter to someone in your life.

Dear Abuelita Lupita,

First of all I wanted to tell you how much I love you. I know I don't say this very often, but I want you to know that I do love you with all my heart. You have seen me grow up, you lived with us throughout my childhood. You walked me and my brothers to school, even after your stroke that left you with a slight limp. I remember you waking us up in the morning, making us eat some breakfast, wash our teeth and hurrying us up to get to school. it was about a 4 block walk. My little brother just started kindergarten, I remember staying behind and walking with you while my other brothers hurried to school. I wish I remembered what we would talk about on our walks.

I remember coming home from school and having a home-cooked meal, and the dishes done, the floor swept. I remember asking you to make my favorite dish, spaghetti. No one makes it like you Abuela. I tried and failed.

When I was younger I vaguely remember that horrible day when I was five. You were taking care of me and my brother. I'm not sure where my brother was, but I was on that wobbly, glass dining table coloring, while you were probably cooking and cleaning. The next thing I remember was the glass table breaking and me going down with it. I heard screams probably from the both of us. I saw blood from the tiny cut in my forehead, then looked down and could see the inside of my arm, a big gash on my tiny arm that later took 16 stitches and constant reminder of that day. I love you grandma for saving my life that day.

Abuela, I remember one day going to the hospital. I think it was the day you got your stroke or maybe it was in Mexico. I was little and didn't know what was happening I think they didn't let us in, but I remember feeling scared, and every day since then I worry about you.

Now you don't live with at our house anymore, you and grandpa decided to live in Mexico in the home you both built with love. I don't get to see you as often. I miss both of you. And the times I do, my heart hurts a little. You are getting a little older. You are getting a little weaker. And sometimes you talk about how you might not be here much longer, and that scares me.

I wish I could spend more time with you and just talk about... anything. I wish I could tell you how much you mean to me, how much I care about you and how much I love you... a little bit more. I wish I could take more pictures with you and grandpa, although I know you don't like them that much. I wish I could go visit you and grandpa and stay with you for a little bit. I wish I could watch some novelas, like I used to when I was younger, although you would rather watch baseball these days.. hehe. I wish I could ask you about your childhood memories. Or how you and grandpa met. Your time as a mom with crazy kids like my mom and my tias, and tio.

I've probably never told you this before, but thank you for being one of my role models. A strong, intelligent, beautiful, loving, and caring woman. I couldn't ask for a better example. Thank you and grandpa for all your sacrifices to bring your children here to the U.S without you I wouldn't be here. I hope that one day I can be at least half the women you are. I thank God for blessing me with an Abuela like you. I only hope that God gives me more time with you!!

I wish I could read this to you one day!! I can't wait to see you again and give you a big hug!!

Love, your eldest granddaughter,
Nana



Check out other prompts and join the challenge at Story of My Life.
 photo signature.jpg

4 comments:

  1. This is beautiful Adri, it brought tears to my eyes. I bet your Grandma would love to receive/hear this letter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Rebecca. I really hope to read it to her, I'm not a person to express my emotions much, but I feel that I need to. :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts!! :)